We have gotten through 3 full days of remote learning. Overall it is going well, but there are some challenges. The LMS can be a bit slow at times, and the power going out in areas of Princeton and Cranbury this week didn't help. Please see below for updated building hours. I have also posted some helpful links for students and families should there be technical issues.
Though many PHS staff are working remotely we are still providing online activities for our students and families. Ms. Lygas has been posting great pics of students participating in our online Spirit Week (Instagram: PrincetonHS). PHS' parent evening presented by Challenge Success will be done remotely this Monday and live-streamed. We are still working out the details and will post updated information shortly. There will be many more activities in the coming days and weeks so stay tuned.
Finally, I wanted to share the following thoughts...this is an incredibly difficult situation in which we find ourselves, and we are all doing our best. I think that is important to remind ourselves...we are doing our best! With only one or two days notice our lives changed. As educators, we were told we had to work from home and teach our students remotely. As parents, we were forced to figure out childcare and the homeschooling of our children in addition to either still having to go out to work or work from our homes. Our students and children were told they couldn’t come to school, see their friends, play sports, be children. Some kids became caregivers and teachers for younger siblings in addition to being full-time students themselves.
We all find ourselves in an impossible situation. But, we are figuring it out, and I think kudos go out to everyone. The teachers are working together to share ideas and support students. Parents are juggling feeding & teaching their children in between conference calls. Our students are logging in to PowerSchool Learning each day, doing lessons, connecting remotely with friends and still finding the time to post pics on Instagram for spirit week. I feel regretful and guilty that kids can’t be here at school but am comforted to see them staying positive in this situation. These are uncertain times with great stress for all of us. I can’t imagine what the kids are going through yet they are logging in each day posting pics with their pets in a heartwarming showing of solidarity. It’s going to take time to get it right. We are in day four of definite ten, most likely more.
Our teachers have the best intentions for your kids, I know that and want you to know that as well. If you have a question or concern, please reach out to them, and they will work with you and your children to best support them.
We will continue to post-instruction and we will try to mix in some fun and humor.
Updated building hours:
Beginning the week of 3/23 the building will only be open on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 8:00-12:00. Please call ahead to let us know you are coming so we can ensure we have the materials you need to pick up ready.
PHS Updates & school spirit fun-Facebook(Princeton High School & Princeton Public Schools, New Jersey), Twitter (PHS_MsBaxter) & Instagram (PrincetonHS)
Health Office Page Updates: http://pps.haikulearning.com/bryanashenfelter/healthoffice1
Please read up on social distancing and encourage with your children.
Student Help Desk email with questions: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Student technology resources:
Support for PowerSchool Learning logins:
Attendance Procedures: A google form will be posted in the Grade Level class in PowerSchool Learning each day. Students MUST fill out this form by 1 pm each day in order to be counted present. If a student has trouble accessing this form the student or parent must call the attendance line (609-806-4280 x3106) to report the student as present.
Challenge Success: Playtime, Downtime, Family Time. http://www.challengesuccess.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/PDF-for-Teens.png
Remote Learning Guidelines for PHS Students
- A google form will be posted in the Grade Level class in PowerSchool Learning each day. Students MUST fill out this form by 1pm each day in order to be counted present. If a student has trouble accessing this form the student or parent must call the attendance line (609-806-4280 x3106) to report the student as present.
- If a child is ill a parent can call in their absence to the attendance line to have the absence verified.
- Students will login to PowerSchool Learning each day and follow alternating E/F cycle day class schedules for accessing class content, activities and assignments. Students should login to their E day classes the first day of the closure, then their F day classes on the second day of the closure, etc.
- Students should follow expectations and deadlines set by teachers for completing activities and turning in assignments.
- Teachers will post that day’s lesson, materials, activities, assignments, etc. by 8:20 am.
- Students should keep in contact with teachers via messaging features and/or email if they have any questions or concerns about content.
- A minimum of one grade per week will be input in PowerTeacher Pro. Students and families should continue to reach out to teachers with questions or concerns via PowerSchool Learning or email.
- The building will be open for minimal visits from 8:00-12:00 on Tuesdays & Thursdays. The Learning Commons is open virtually. OverDrive and all research tools are available 24/7 and Ms. Bigioni can assist with any questions.
- Princeton High School News