September 13, 2020
Dear Johnson Park Families:
The first day of the new school year is finally upon us! I hope that you share my excitement although I recognize that there is some worry. This year, we open our school year in a very different way. Our staff members and teachers have worked tirelessly to prepare for our opening, and I can assure you that their warmth, enthusiasm and creativity will shine—even through a screen.
By now, I hope that your child’s classroom teacher has reached out to you with a brief introduction and information for the first week of school. All students will be meeting with their homeroom teacher at 8:30 am on a Zoom—hopefully through Canvas. Teachers were also providing a back-up Zoom link in case there is difficulty with Canvas. We are hopeful, but we also want to be realistic. Technology issues and glitches happen, and we want to be prepared.
On that note, if you have any issue with technology tomorrow, please follow these steps:
- 1. E-mail your classroom teacher. They will provide you with their Zoom link so that your child can join their class.
- 2. E-mail our Tech Assistant, Mark Javick at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3. Call the Main Office at JP (609-806-4240) to report the issue.
- 4. E-mail the district helpline: email@example.com (for students) and firstname.lastname@example.org (for parents).
My hope is that steps 1, 2 or 3 will resolve your issue.
I ask for your patience and understanding. There are many individuals working behind the scenes to make sure our links are operating and connecting appropriately. Unfortunately, the small team of individuals provide support for the entire district. And, we all begin the first day all together tomorrow! So, thank you in advance—we will work as diligently and as quickly as possible to resolve any technology issue.
If you were unable to pick-up a device and/or your child(ren)’s materials last week, please call JP’s Main Office. We can work with you on making sure you get these materials ASAP.
A calendar reminder for the week—this Thursday, September 17 is our Back to School Night. It will be a virtual event. You will have access to the links to either a video introduction or a Zoom link for our staff and teachers on the JP website by Thursday morning. We are planning to post the program for the evening so it is as easy as possible to follow. We hope you will be able to join us.
Our goal this week is simple! We want to:
- 1. Meet and see our students! We will focus on building community in our classroom and prioritizing social-emotional learning and connections. We want to connect with our students and we want them to connect with one another.
- 2. Make sure that all of our students have full access to technology and can log-in! This could be a bit bumpy, but within a few days, we hope to have all of our issues with technology resolved.
- 3. Establish norms and routines with our students for a successful learning experience.
I wish all of our JP students the best school year, yet! I hope that it is engaging, meaningful and inspiring—together, we will learn from one another and we will certainly be stronger as we navigate through some of the uncertainties. Please do not hesitate to reach out—and, feel free to share some good moments, too!
Get a good night’s sleep!
Angela Siso Stentz
- Johnson Park News