Welcome to the 2022
Facilities Stewardship Referendum
The referendum was held on Jan. 25, 2022. Voters approved $17.5 million worth of bonds for critical repairs and new roofing for all six schools. The State of New Jersey will reimburse up to 34% of principal and interest on the bonds (approximately $7 million of State aid).
The Princeton Board of Education requests community consideration of:
- WHAT: $17.5 million facilities stewardship referendum
- WHY: To fund cost-effective replacement/repair of roofs and equipment, over the next four years, at all six district schools as well as other structural repairs to ensure a safe and healthy learning environment for our students.
- WHEN: Special election on Tuesday, January 25th
- WHERE: Voting in-person at four elementary schools, from 1:30-8PM, and by mail, for those who vote by mail
- TAX IMPACT: State funds up to 34% of principal and interest; capital debt levy will decrease (old debt retiring)
There will be a special election on January 25 to vote regarding the issuance of $17.5 million worth of bonds to fund new roofs for Princeton Public Schools and to make urgent repairs including repairing the aging masonry on the Princeton High School Tower. In-person voting will be held on January 25 between 1:30 and 8 PM.
Unlike expensive annual roof repairs made at full cost to taxpayers out of the PPS operating budget, funding facilities repairs through a referendum is more-cost-efficient. The State of New Jersey will subsidize up to 34 cents out of each dollar of principal and interest.
“As many Princeton families have experienced firsthand, failing roofs affect student learning,” said Matt Bouldin, PPS Business Administrator. “In recent years, PPS has implemented a series of short-term fixes to address the problem. These tactics are not cost-effective, nor do they solve the ongoing problem of aging and leaking roofs."
The vote is scheduled for Tuesday, January 25.
On December 11, ballots were mailed to those voters who have requested mail-in ballots. Please confirm the location of your polling place. All four PPS elementary schools will be open for voting on January 25 between 1:30 and 8 PM.
If you have questions or if there is something specific you cannot find, please email email@example.com.