In summer 2015, Rider University will host its sixth annual
science, technology, engineeRing, and MatheMatics (steM) teacheR acadeMy
Monday - Friday, July 13th - July 24th, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
What is the STEM Teacher Academy?
STEM 2015 will focus on ecology and sustainability, helping students understand that we, as humans,are an integral part of nature. Industry, the global economy, and the day-to-day decisions we make in life affect the ecosystem in which we live.
Through this Academy, students will become successful investigators, utilize hands-on field techniques and laboratory skills, and initiate Internet searches that rely upon numerous strategies to assist them in addressing complex scientific questions. Students in the 2015 Academy will conduct their own research, work in teams, observe the ecological succession and take samples of and analyze the impact of organisms on a decomposing carcass, and study insects and forest ecology.
Who should apply?
Through generous funding from Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Bristol-Myers Squibb and NJEA, the Academy invites rising junior and senior high school students who are interested in teaching the STEM disciplines and executing science and math activities that center on the teaching of ecological principles to apply.
What kinds of activities can you expect?
• Trip to the Liberty Science Center
• Analysis of Rider University’s new collection of mammal skull replicas• Tree identification
• Google map activity to analyze forest succession on Rider’s campus
• Constructing a class website for sharing research
• Decomposition study
• Collection and analysis of weather data during the Academy
What are the qualifications for participating students?
- Anyone who is 15 - 18 years old and in his/her sophomore, junior year, or senior year in high school in fall 2015 and has an interest in teaching or learning more about the teaching profession and STEM disciplines
- An interest in and commitment to attending college after high school
- Evidence of maturity, stability, responsibility, and commitment as demonstrated in the application and character references
- Commitment to a two-week, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. schedule at Rider University’s STEM Teacher Academy from July 13th - July 24th; Special instances
- of attendance may be considered
Go to Rider Website for information and to download an application: